The Area

The Redlake River rises close to the Offa's Dyke in the hills above Clun and flows East to join the River Clun/Teme at Leintwardine, through the hamlets and villages of Treverward, Purlogue, New Invention, Chapel Lawn and Bucknell.

The Redlake Valley lies in the Clun Forest and on the southern edge of the Shropshire Hills AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), an area characterised by open fields, hanging oak woods and rounded hills. The Iron Age Hill fort of Caer Caradoc dominates the valley above Chapel Lawn.

The Redlake River has had different names in different places at different times. The upper reaches through Treverward and Purlogue were known as the Bradfeld Flud or Brook up until the early 19th Century. In the 17th Century, and maybe before, the middle section was called Chapel Brook after the medieval chapel that was built there in 1513. From Saxon times until the end of the 18th Century, the lower reaches and maybe higher, were known as the Adlake, plus many variations in spelling, so called because of a Saxon Manor called  Adelactune. It is thought that the 'R' came from either ‘yr’ which is Welsh for ‘the’ or from ‘atter’, which is Middle English for ‘at the’. (information very kindly produced by Patrick Cosgrove of the Local History Group. The full version of Patrick's paper on the Redlake and the origin of its name can be found here, courtesy of the author).


Looking down on the Redlake Valley from the ramparts of Caer Caradoc

(main picture above: Looking towards the Redlake Valley from Cwm Sanahan Hill, by Sarah Jameson)